Sunday, July 18, 2010

I've got music, coming out of my hands and feet and kisses

I've been far too busy lately to get substantial reading done, so I thought I'd do a quick post of some songs that I've been digging lately. Most of these have come out pretty recently (thank you, satellite radio). Sometime I'll post some older favorites though, too, as long as people don't hate me for pushing my taste in music at them.

The links below go to Grooveshark, a free music service that lets you stream whatever songs you want. The ads are obnoxious, but I'll take the bright, flashy banners advertising stuff I don't care about as long as they come with a way to listen to that song I can't get out of my head but don't personally own. Descriptions and links are after the jump.


Here is a generic, poorly-edited picture of smoke that I attempted the other day. It's sad that something can be so beautiful but can't be captured in an image without being under precisely the right circumstances. But I guess that's the point of having eyes and experiencing life.

Now, without further ado:

I've never been that much of a Gorillaz fan, but I heard this song on the radio and it simultaneously creeped me out and intrigued me. It's poppy, yet dark; repetitive, yet unique. 
Gorillaz: Rhinestone Eyes

If you've seen 500 Days of Summer, you've heard the song "Sweet Disposition". The intro hooked me in as soon as I heard Dougy Mandagi's crooning falsetto mingling with opening guitar riff. "Fader" is their latest single, and I think it's pretty awesome, though in a different style than "Sweet Disposition".
The Temper Trap: Sweet Disposition & Fader

Just listen. This song makes me want to put the accelerator to the floor.
Two Door Cinema Club: I Can Talk

I recently re-discovered this band after having seen them in concert a few years ago opening for Anathallo at the Pike Room. I'm pretty sure that's it's just the one guy (who happens to be Andrew Bird's drummer) doing everything (live sampling FTW) except for the saxophone. And the saxophone rocks.
Dosh: Capture the Flag

I have been on such a Julian Casablancas kick lately... his debut solo album is fantastic. The lyrics totally make up for the poppy synth riffs, and, I don't even mind the synth riffs that much, despite my aversion to catchy things. Note: Julian is the lead singer of the Strokes, whom I love, but the style is a lot different; the Strokes are a lot darker sounding.
Julian Casablancas: 11th Dimension

I love Passion Pit, but I've listened to their album so many times that it's nice to hear something new from them. And while this song is nowhere near new, the style in which they cover it is refreshing.
Passion Pit: Tonight Tonight (Smashing Pumpkins Cover)

Well...that's my update. I hope it sufficiently made up for the fact that I created, and then neglected, this blog. I hope to be less busy this week and continue reading... once I get through the latest chapters in my macroeconomics and physics classes, that is.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    Thanks for posting these -- I enjoyed the ones that I've checked out so far. (And I'm jealous that you got to see Anathallo before they broke up.)

    Although they're into a bit more straightforward feel-good rock, you might enjoy some of the tracks off of House of Hero's new album 'Suburba', like 'God Save the Foolish Kings' -- look for it on YouTube. The second verse has some of the said infectious clapping. :)

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete