Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Books!

Tonight, I went to the library expecting to get a book or two. Somehow I ended up with eight.

My brain's been craving new endeavors (hence, blog) and has been processing a lot of ideas (some related to book topics below), so I think reading these books might be a good place to start drawing inspiration from. It'll probably take me a while to get through them all, but I think it'll be a fun challenge. I hope to read a bit each day (in addition to working full-time, biking around Holland in the gorgeous summer evening weather, and doing homework for two online classes) and make an occasional post on my progress, thoughts, opinions, or even a brief summary. Now, without further ado: Books!


Thank you, Herrick District Library!

Here is a list of the titles I picked up:
  • "The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" - Richard Dawkins
  • "Genetics and Genetic Engineering" - Lisa Yount
  • "The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search For God" - Carl Sagan
  • "The Dark Side of Christian History" - Helen Ellerbe
  • "Religion and Sexuality" - Opposing Viewpoints Series
  • "How to Think About God: A Guide for the 20th-Century Pagan" - Mortimer J. Adler
  • "Atheism" - Opposing Viewpoints Series
  • "The Dawkins Delusion? Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Devine" - Alister McGrath and Joanna Collicutt McGrath
These should compare and contrast well with the titles I've read recently:
  • "Letter to a Christian Nation" - Sam Harris
  • "A Friendly Letter to Skeptics and Atheists" - David Myers
  • "God and the New Physics" - Paul Davies
  • "The Existence of God and the Beginning of the Universe" - William Craig
  • "Mere Christianity" - C.S. Lewis
  • "Quarks, Chaos and Christianity" - John Polkinghorne
  • "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" - Harold Kushner 
  • "Noah's Flood: Birth of the Ice Age" - Robert L. Gielow
During my senior seminar class in May, I also read several articles and essays on the above topics by the likes of Albert Einstein, Bertrand Russell, and C.S. Lewis. Additionally, I am halfway through "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, and hope to finish it at some point this summer; it was going to be first on the list, but I've only got six weeks to read all of these library books before they're due...

No comments:

Post a Comment